Saturday, February 21, 2009

The New Hockey Skates Sega...

Traded in the Skates after 45 minutes for some SHOES
Erin Rowe taking a turn with Isaac and the "skate buddy"
Jace wishing his brother had a warmer hobby.. but did love the action.. (it was + 8 today )
A little chilly in the morning air though.. 
Mommy n' me.

Yes.. that is the SUNRISE behind us.. 

So we have been tossing around the idea of getting Isaac skates, or just bob-skates as he IS only 2... Anyways Thursday we found out that our local - close to us - Sport Chek is closing so big sales were to be had... So i loaded up the boys and we went in search of some skates for Isaac and a helmet.. They only had 2 in the smallest size they have - which in reality will still fit him likely for the next 2 years... So i'm asking a 2 year old if they fit ok, and how they feel... his comments.. "Fit Good Mommy Buy Them"... I think they could have been 10 sizes too big and the answer would have remained the same... So we are now day 3 of the "hockey skates" and I have to watch this little man with x-ray vision because he insists on putting them on and playing hockey in the house... For the 1st day the compromise was to stay on the carpet upstairs... after i found him in the basement with them on... Thursday nite we had a melt down because the hallway wasn't long enough for him to run down.. (in his skates.. yikes). So we quickly went and purchased... Skate Guards.. whose only purpose is to protect the blades from the bench to the ice - walking at a snails pace.. (clearly not designed for the moc 3 run down the hallway) as they soon were DITCHED... So morning #1 of Saturday morning shinny at SAIT for the Stewart family... Such a nice tradition where the dad takes the boys and the mom sleeps in... (why does stuff never work out for us in our household)... Daddy gets home at 1 in the morning and lazily says at 7 that he'll take him later somewhere... Little does he realize that 5 minutes later there is a little man whispering in my ear "Hockey Mommy"... So I get up and get him and I dressed and head out for some morning fuel... "at McDonald's" and then off to Hockey... Wade calls 5 minutes after we've left and says that there is actually NO HOCKEY at Sait today... UGHHGHGH.. Well we're up so we head to the Hidden Hut by our house for some "sunrise" skating.. Thankfully at this stage it's all very short lived and our 'after hockey hot chocolate' lasted longer than the actual skating... Phew... 
Crisis #2... A good friend phones and they are playing hockey and skating at...... The Hidden Hut at 2 pm this afternoon... So ... I convince Isaac to have an early nap... which lasted 20 minutes before the same little voice awakens me from my nice , warm, cozy nap... "Mommy.. Hockey".. So we get up - load up Jace and head back to the rink for 2 more hours of skating.. and HOCKEY... Look out Wayne Gretzky.. I don't think even you played 2 1/2 hrs a day at 2 years old... 

They say that 2 year olds memories only last about 2-3 hours.... And their crazy addictions sometimes less... We can only HOPE and PRAY.. but something tells me this might be a phase that never quits..  Oh well... We live to do things for our kids don't we??? So something tells me I better practice my stick handling and get warmer mitts... 

4 comments:

mandypants said...

I now pronounce an official "hockey-mom"!!! He does look so darn cute in his little skates and Flames jersey.

mandypants said...

PS Can I just say this makes me really want a son?

sharmilla said...

Hahaha! Hee-larious, and so cute!

I'm sure with boys galore, I'll be joining you on the ice next winter. Somehow I thought frosty mornings at the rink were daddy's domain, but it looks like moms reign supreme again!

letisha said...

ok, you are SUPER mom to be at the (outdoor rink to boot) at sun rise! Crazy!!! Can't believe his is skating already! He looks so tall with his skates on!

Someday it will not matter how big my house is, how much money is in the bank, or where i have travelled.. only that I have been important in the life of a child...